Komite Akreditasi Nasional (KAN) is an institution under and responsible to the President of the Republic of Indonesia with main task to grant accreditation to Conformity Assessment Bodies.
KAN has been established since 1992 by Decree of the State Minister for Research and Technology No. 465/IV.2.06/HK.01.04/9/92 and be renewed in 1997 by the Presidential Decree No. 13/1997 and in 2001 by the Presidential Decree No. 78/2001.
KAN is the accreditation body in Indonesia that be operated objectively and impartially.
KAN provides accreditation services in non-discriminatory manner by the following ways: :
- provide equal access to all applicants having activities under KAN accreditation scopes that is not condition upon the size of organization, ownership, membership of an association or group and number of CABs already accredited;
- establish same accreditation fee structure for all CABs;
- do not give privilege nor retard accreditation services to any CABs.
KAN ensures that all personnel (including contracted personnel) act in objective manner, free from commercial and financial pressure and any other pressure, which may compromise accreditation results and oblige all KAN personnel to sign F.UM.01.
Accreditation decision is taken collectively by the Council. Competencies and Requirements for Council Members are described in PSDM 01.
Council Members come from interested parties representing government, industry/association, professionals and customers by considering proportional composition in such way that no single party predominates the council decision. Membership of Council comprises at a maximum of one third represent government institution and the rest represent professionals and non-government parties.
Presidential Decree No. 78 2001 states that the National Standardization Agency of Indonesia (BSN) provides financial and personnel support to KAN, thus BSN is KAN related body.
Within its relationship with BSN, KAN ensure its impartiality and objectivity by:
(a) Accreditation policy and decision is taken by Council so that is not possible for BSN to interfere.
(b) BSN policy states that:
- Personnel and financial support provided to KAN shall not cause any requirements or pressure related to accreditation decision and KAN policy.
- In such case that BSN having activities related to conformity assessment activity, BSN will be in consultation with KAN and consider all views and objection of KAN in such way that there is no conflict of interest with KAN responsibilities.
(c) Financing directly related to accreditation is funded by KAN financial revenue.
Analysis of relationship between KAN and BSN concerning confidentiality, objectivity and impartiality is stated in KAN 08.
All KAN personnel including contracted personnel, committee, parties or individuals acting on KAN behalf to keep confidentiality of all information and documentation related to accreditation process of CAB by signing declaration to undertake confidentiality in accordance with F.UM.01.
KAN will not give information related with the confidentiality of CAB to any third party, or committee, parties and individuals acting on KAN behalf without written approval from the CAB.
KAN will take permission to CAB on disclose confidential information to the committee (the parties), external bodies or individuals acting on KAN behalf, except where the law requires such the information to be disclosed without such consent.
All involved in the accreditation process shall sign declaration of undertaking confidentiality and impartiality.